A transformer fire forced Sobeys in Windsor to close early Sunday afternoon.
Capt. Daniel Lavers, of the Windsor Volunteer Fire Department, said it appeared the fire was a result of the transformer malfunctioning.
“When we arrived there was some smoke showing from the transformer and it had spewed some oil across the parking lot and down into a ditch,” Lavers explained in a brief interview at the scene.
The substance that leaked from the transformer, which is located behind the grocery store, became a primary concern when the fire was quickly extinguished.
“Right away I contacted the HazMat team from the Valley to come down and help identify what we were dealing with and the Department of Environment was notified as well,” said Lavers.
The Kings County Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Response Team and Nova Scotia Power workers were on site assisting with the cleanup.
“We don’t believe that there’s any serious (damage) done right now. We’re just trying to confirm what type of oil was in the transformer,” Lavers said.
A sign was posted in the main entrance of the grocery store to notify customers of the store’s closure due to a power outage.