UPDATED: RCMP looking for missing Canning man

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Updated 11 a.m., Feb. 12

Family and friends say they’re very concerned about a Canning man who has been missing for more than a week.

The Kings District RCMP issued an alert on Feb. 10 that Mark Wayne Clarke had not been seen since Feb. 4. A friend dropped the 34-year-old off around noon that day at the corner of Kentville’s Aberdeen and Main streets, near Kings County Home Hardware. He has not been heard from since.

An extended family member said he noticed Clarke was not around Kentville last week as he usually is.

Clarke is known to suffer from seizures. This relative said he hoped Clarke was safe somewhere with friends.

While there is no active police search going on for Clarke, both RCMP and Kentville Police say they are keeping an eye out for him.

RCMP Const. Blair MacMurtery said it is difficult to search when there is no starting point.

Kentville Police spokesman Const. Mike Goss said Clarke is in the back of everyone’s minds and media coverage might help.

“Hopefully, someone will see him,” Goss said.

Shayna George said she is concerned more isn’t being done to find Clarke. George works at the TAN Café in Kentville, where the missing man was a regular visitor. Clarke lived in a nearby apartment until a fire in November. After the fire, he moved in with a brother who resides in the Hillaton area.

“He’s a really great guy,” George said, adding Clarke seemed to be in a positive mood since he had been living with family.

“Mark is a genuinely good human being, who clearly has a lot of people who care about him.”

He would come into the café to read the paper and discuss the news, George said.

“When I found out he was missing, I didn’t know where to start,” she commented. “The police have substantially more resources than the general public.

“I’m just really concerned about the inaction,” George added. “We’ve had 40 centimetres of snow, or more.”

Clarke is Caucasian, approximately five foot 10 inches tall, weighs approximately 160 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes.  When last seen, Clarke had long sideburns and full goatee.

He was wearing a canvas-type, insulated winter coat; insulated, brown, canvas hiking boots; jeans and gloves. Anyone with information is asked to call the nearest police department or New Minas RCMP, 902-679-5555.

George said people can also pass on information on where anonymously through Open Arms in Kentville at 300-1729.

______________________________

Updated 2:30 p.m., Feb. 11

Mark Clarke's family is expressing concern for the missing 34-year-old Canning resident's safety.

An extended family member noticed Clarke was not around Kentville last week as he often was.

He is known to suffer from seizures. This relatives said he hoped Clarke was safe somewhere with friends.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Updated 10:30 a.m. Feb. 11

While there is no active police search going on for 34-year-old Mark Clarke, both RCMP and Kentville Police say they are keeping an eye out for Clarke.

MacMurtery said it is difficult to search when there is no starting point. Clarke was last seen Feb. 4 in Kentville.

“Hopefully, someone will see him,” Goss said.

_________________________

Updated 9:15 a.m., Feb. 11

The Kings District RCMP are seeking the public's assistance in locating a missing person.

Mark Wayne Clarke, 34, from the Canning, Nova Scotia, area, was last seen on Feb. 4.  A friend dropped him off around noon at the corner of Kentville's Aberdeen and Main streets, near Kings County Home Hardware (the former Leon's location.) He has not been heard from since.

A family member reported Clarke missing, Kings RCMP’s Const. Blair MacMurtery said on Feb. 11. The man had been staying with family in Hillaton, MacMurtery said.

He added it was unusual for Clarke to be missing for this long and the cold weather is a concern.

Clarke is Caucasian, approximately five feet 10 inches tall, weighs approximately 160 pounds, and has brown hair and blue eyes.

When last seen, Clarke was wearing a canvas-type insulated winter coat; insulated, brown, canvas hiking boots; jeans and gloves. He has long sideburns and full goatee.

Check back at www.kingscountynews.ca for updates as they become available.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Mark Wayne Clarke, 34, from the Canning, Nova Scotia, area, was last seen nearly a week ago on Feb. 4.  A friend dropped him off around noon, at the corner of Kentville's Aberdeen and Main streets, near Kings County Home Hardware (the former Leon's location.) He has not been heard from since.

He is Caucasian, approximately 5'10" tall, weighs approximately 160lbs, and has brown hair and blue eyes.

He was wearing a canvas-type insulated winter coat; insulated, brown, canvas hiking boots; jeans and gloves. He has long sideburns and full goatee.

Anyone with information is asked to call the nearest Police Department or New Minas RCMP, 902-679-5555.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Nova Scotia, Aberdeen, Kentville

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• janet pelton
    February 23, 2013 - 00:05

with his medical condition and all the cold weather and no word from him, i think the RCMP should be dong alot more , if it was a rich persons son ,they would not give up, I talked to him few tims, gave him smokes . I think they should keep looking for all anyone nos he could be hurt , so please find him.

• Marlene Lightfoot
    February 13, 2013 - 21:55

Mark is my nephew and I am doing everything that I can do to find him. Someone stated that they seen him in Berwick and i phoned the RCMP and they would not do anything. So I went out and looked for him myself. Tomorrow is Mathew birthday we will see if he phones Matt. LOVE U MARK

• Lynn
      February 16, 2013 - 19:47

I hope you find him... My Husband went to school with Mark

• Alan Pennington
    February 13, 2013 - 09:53

I feel like if this were anyone else with any other circumstances that there would be an "active search" going on by the police. "RCMP Const. Blair MacMurtery said it is difficult to search when there is no starting point" What about the local area? In a missing persons situation every hour and every day count. It has been cold with lots of snow, I feel like there should be a search on going by the police. The public and Marks friends and family are gonna be keeping an eye out for him, thats a given. There is a missing man out there and people are concerned. Which is why the police should be searching for him. I gotta question though,if this were you or I, do you think there would be more then "just keeping an eye out for you" by now?

• Tammi Wood
    February 12, 2013 - 18:33

I am glad that the police finally seem to be doing more about this now. Last week when I found out my cousin had not been seen I started putting the word out through Facebook to see if anyone had seen or heard from him. Hundreds of people shared my post and I received several messages, but none of any real sightings. I was telling people to contact the RCMP or Kentville Police if they knew anything but as the days went on it seemed like the only thing getting done was what we were doing on Facebook. I hope and pray that my cousin is ok. The weather has been cold, and now with this dump of snow we just got I really hope he is safe and warm somewhere.