West Hants horse relocation effort takes tragic turn

Owner Ralph Morash mourning death of mare

Ashley Thompson athompson@hantsjournal.ca
Published on June 11, 2014

One of the oldest mares belonging to Ralph Morash’s herd has died as a result of a relocation plan gone wrong.

The man trying to move the remaining two mares and their foals roaming on a piece of the Canadian Gypsum Company Ltd. property along Wentworth Road had some devastating news for Morash June 10.

One of the mares had apparently choked to death after being tied to a tree while her foal was taken out of sight.

“He had it tied up and he took the colt away from it and when he got back the mare was down tangled in the rope or something and it was too late,” said Morash, who was not involved in the latest attempt to move the horses. The majority of the herd was moved earlier this spring.

“It was a terrible shock for me. She was one of the oldest mares I had.”

Morash said both mares that were left behind after the majority of the herd was moved earlier this winter were tame.

“They weren’t wild, you could pet them and everything,” he said.

He believes the mare that died panicked when its foal, which is about two months old, was taken.

Morash feels the mares would have been fine to leave on the land with the studs gone, but he’s been instructed to move all of the horses off of the gypsum company’s land. He said the horses were originally placed there decades ago when he was clearing land for Fundy Gypsum.

Though heartbroken by the circumstances that led to the horse’s death, Morash does not believe the individual involved intended to cause the animal harm.

“It was an accident. He didn’t do it on purpose, I’m sure. He was really shook up. He broke down and cried,” said Morash, his voice cracking.

“He really felt bad.”

Hard as it is, Morash said he can cope with an accident. What really makes him sick to his stomach is knowing there are people out there capable of shooting his horses. 

“I think they’re a bunch of savages — worse than savages.”

He said a horse once had a bullet wound in its chest, another was hit behind the ear and one was shot to death.

“I think I’m in a different world or something,” said Morash. “Some people are really great to me and other people are… out to cause me all the trouble they can.”

There is still one mare and one foal left to move off of the gypsum company’s property.