Top News

AVHS briefly evacuated after fire located in washroom garbage can

Windsor firefighters, RCMP officers and paramedics were called to Avon View High School Nov. 21 after a fire was discovered in a bathroom.
Windsor firefighters, RCMP officers and paramedics were called to Avon View High School Nov. 21 after a fire was discovered in a bathroom. - Carole Morris-Underhill

 

WINDSOR, N.S. — Avon View High School students were evacuated briefly this morning as firefighters extinguished a fire in an upstairs bathroom.

Members of the Windsor Fire Department were called to the high school around 11:15 a.m. Nov. 21. RCMP officers and paramedics also attended the scene.

“When we got there, we had a fire in a garbage can on the second floor men’s washroom,” said Windsor Deputy Fire Chief Jamie Juteau.

“There’s no reason for there to be a fire in a garbage can. The RCMP have the file so they’re looking into it,” he said.

Juteau said it’s standard procedure to evacuate students when there’s a fire, even if it’s a small one.

“You have to (evacuate) because the smoke will travel through a place like that pretty quick. Some people are pretty sensitive, even to just a little paper smoke,” said Juteau.

Seven Windsor firefighters attended the call. Members of the Three Mile Plains substation were initially called for mutual aid but were not required. The call was wrapped up within an hour.

 

Recent Stories