Top News

Windsor Fire Department investigating fuel smell at downtown business

Windsor firefighters Chris Sullivan, left, and John Demont investigate the scene.
Windsor firefighters Chris Sullivan, left, and John Demont investigate the scene.

WINDSOR, N.S. – Windsor firefighters are investigating a fuel smell emanating from inside a local business.

Firefighters could be seen entering the local businesses at 40 Water St. around 2:45 p.m. Dec. 29.

Deputy Fire Chief Jamie Juteau said he received a report of a strong smell of furnace fuel while walking around the downtown with his son.

“I walked into the bookstore today with my young fella here and I could smell furnace oil,” Juteau said. “The lady said it had been going on for two or three days and wanted to know what she should do.”

Juteau put the call in to the fire department, which arrived shortly with a gas detector.

Firefighters could be seen entering the local businesses at 40 Water St. around 2:45 p.m. Dec. 29.

Deputy Fire Chief Jamie Juteau said he received a report of a strong smell of furnace fuel while walking around the downtown with his son.

“I walked into the bookstore today with my young fella here and I could smell furnace oil,” Juteau said. “The lady said it had been going on for two or three days and wanted to know what she should do.”

Juteau put the call in to the fire department, which arrived shortly with a gas detector.

The Windsor Fire Department was called to this commercial building after a smell of furnace oil was detected.

“The crew is scouring the building to find out what’s going on,” he said. “We’re going to check that out. Failing that, we’ll dig a little deeper to check the sewers and things like that.”

Juteau said that if people notice a strange odour, such as oil, in their home or business they should call the fire department right away.

“Oil fumes will make you sick, you’ll get headaches,” he said. “Some people can be more susceptible than others.”

Windsor firefighters John Demont, left, and Kristopher Lake wait outside the Water Street business as the fire department responded to a suspicious smell complaint.

Recent Stories