KENTVILLE, NS - The court has granted a public interest arrest warrant for a Greenwood man allegedly involved in a targeted assault and robbery in Kentville in January who is still at large and now faces charges relating to human trafficking.
Franklin Dale McKay, 28, was not present in Kentville provincial court on Feb. 13. An application from the Crown for a public interest arrest warrant was granted. All peace officers in Nova Scotia have been ordered to arrest McKay and to bring the accused before the provincial court in Kentville to be dealt with according to the law.
Franklin McKay, Stephen Ryan McKay, 22, also of Greenwood, and Bryce Douglas Brooks, 23, of Glooscap First Nation, are facing several charges stemming from an alleged targeted assault and robbery in Kentville on Jan. 4.
These include robbery, having their faces masked with intent to commit an indictable offence, break, enter and theft, uttering a threat to cause bodily harm or death, stealing property from an individual valued at less than $5,000 and aggravated assault.
Stephen McKay and Brooks appeared in Kentville provincial court on Feb. 13. Their matters were adjourned to March 27 for election and plea and to allow time to seek legal counsel. Both Brooks and McKay were released from custody on a $10,000 non-cash recognizance with conditions, each with two sureties, following a Jan. 15 court appearance. The two have been ordered to have no contact with each other, the alleged victim or Franklin McKay.
Franklin McKay is now also charged with alleged human trafficking-related offences. These include recruiting, transporting and exercising control and direction over the movements of an individual for the purpose of exploiting her; receiving a financial benefit from human trafficking, withholding a document – the alleged victim’s driver’s licence – for the purpose of committing an offence and receiving a material benefit from sexual services.
It’s alleged that McKay committed these offences in Greenwood between Jan. 1, 2015, and Jan. 4, 2018.
On Jan. 4, the Kentville Police Service received a complaint from a man that he had been assaulted and bound with tape at his Academy Street residence in Kentville.
The man alleges that at approximately 5 a.m., three individuals – two wearing masks – entered the victim’s home and assaulted him. They then allegedly took property and fled the scene. Police were notified of the incident after neighbours took the victim to hospital. The victim was treated and later released.
In an earlier interview, Insp. Darryl Brown of the Kentville Police Service said police believe that Franklin McKay arrived at the scene together with the other two suspects and it appears that the incident was planned.
On Feb. 14, Kentville Police Chief Julia Cecchetto said there is no risk to the general public related to the Jan. 4 incidents in Kentville as those involved are known to one another and police believe that the assault and robbery were targeted.
The Kentville Police Service earlier appealed to the public for information on McKay’s whereabouts. Cecchetto said they haven’t received any tips on McKay in the last few weeks.
Cecchetto said anyone with information on Franklin Dale McKay’s whereabouts is asked to call the Kentville Police Service at 902-678-3378 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).