Hants History (Oct. 9, 2014 edition)

Carole Morris-Underhill editor@hantsjournal.ca
Published on October 9, 2014

HANTS COUNTY — Here's a look at what was making the news 25 and 50 years ago in the Hants Journal.

25 years ago (Oct.  11, 1989 paper)

• A 755-pound pumpkin, grown in Quebec, broke records and won the World Pumpkin Confederation Weigh-off. It was noted in the report that the pumpkin was grown from seeds taken from Howard Dill’s 1988 giant pumpkin.

• It was announced that on Jan. 14, 1990, the last VIA Rail passenger train would stop in Windsor.

• Alan Wilcox, a Fundy Gypsum bulldozer operator, spotted a 39-inch tusk while working at their site. It was believed to be a mastodon that roamed the area during the ice age.

Preliminary reports dated the tusk to about 10,000 years ago, but after further investigation, the Nova Scotia Museum curator Bob Grantham said it was likely 60,000 to 70,000 years old.

• Pat Copeland, the Windsor Cable station manager, announced that The Sports Network (TSN) was back on the air.

Prior to the announcement, a petition was started that had the signatures of 40 customers willing to cancel their cable subscriptions if TSN was not included in the basic package.

• Seven members of the Duncanson family, who lived throughout the Annapolis Valley, graduated from the Victoria General Hospital School of Nursing between 1918 and 1980. Several of these women were from Hants County. The seven graduates were: Nora (1918), Ruby (1918), Elizabeth (1946), June (1950), Greta (1952), Beverley (1958) and Janice (1980).

The information came to light as the school was preparing to celebrate 100 years of providing nursing education.

• Many Cheverie United Church congregation members dressed up in period costumes to celebrate the church’s 100th anniversary.


50 years ago (Oct. 7, 1964 paper)

• After spending 55 years with the Fundy Gypsum Company and its predecessors, Windsor resident Ralph Ettinger retired.

It was reported that he joined the J.B. King Company in 1909 and drove horse for the first six years before holding various positions. In 1922, he became a shovel operator and stayed in that position until his retirement.

Ettinger was following in his father's footsteps, as George Ettinger worked at the Windsor plant for 65 years.

• Mrs. Peter L. Robinson, of Toronto, the new superintendent-in-chief of the St. John Ambulance Nursing Brigade, was coming to Windsor for an inspection.

• Irving Smith, of Mount Denson, and his brother James, bagged a 500-pound moose. The animal was shot in Colchester County.

• Miss Mary Lou Dewar, of Hantsport, sailed aboard the S. S. Saturnia for New York City, where she accepted a job.

• Nova Scotia Senior Baseball League finals got much more interesting as the Hantsport Shamrocks lost two consecutive games against New Waterford after winning the first two. The deciding best of five series game was to be played in New Waterford.

• It was reported that the “largest jamboree ever held in Nova Scotia” was going to take place at the Hants Exhibition Arena on the weekend. The jamboree was to feature first-rate entertainers as well as a Mainland Fiddle Contest.

• Walt Disney's The Misadventures of Merlin Jones was playing at the Imperial Theatre.

As a special feature, at midnight on Oct. 11, the movie theatre was set to play the Phantom of the Rue Morgue, which starred Karl Malden.