Top News

Driver transported to hospital via Life Flight after Highway 14 accident

Vehicles were being re-routed Dec. 22 around 1 p.m. near the Redden Road on Highway 14. - SUBMITTED
Vehicles were being re-routed Dec. 22 around 1 p.m. near the Redden Road on Highway 14. - SUBMITTED

Charges pending against 39-year-old Windsor man

WEST HANTS, N.S. — Traffic was re-routed on Highway 14, near Redden Road, for about two hours while first responders attended a motor vehicle accident.

The accident occurred shortly before 1 p.m. Dec. 22. near Redden Road.

Staff Sgt. Dianne Stairs, of the Windsor District RCMP, said Life Flight was requested for the driver of the vehicle involved in the accident.

Motorists looking to travel to Martock or further down Highway 14 were asked to take the Windsor Back Road or Sangster Bridge Road.

Brooklyn fire chief Andy McDade said firefighters provided traffic assistance as well as medical aid for the patient.

“We had three units; two assisting traffic for the RCMP, one unit on scene providing medical aid and (dealing with) fluids and battery disconnect on a vehicle and (they) landed Life Flight,” said McDade.

The extent of the driver’s injuries is unknown at this time, but police confirm he sustained serious injuries after being ejected from the vehicle.

According to an RCMP press release, a preliminary investigation determined that the man did not have permission to drive the vehicle he was using and was talking on a cellphone at the time of the collision.

The 39-year-old man from Windsor is facing charges of theft of a motor vehicle and using a handheld cellular device while operating a motor vehicle.

He is scheduled to appear in Windsor provincial court at a later date.


Another afternoon crash

While Brooklyn was attending the call, they were also paged out to a two-vehicle accident in Falmouth.

Both Hantsport and Brooklyn firefighters attended the accident, which occurred around 1:40 p.m. near the intersection of Town Road and Dyke Road.

“The occupants of the vehicles — the three of them — were all out. One was transported (to hospital),” said Deputy fire chief Wayne Swinimer, of the Brooklyn Fire Department.

The extent of the person’s injuries is unknown at this time.

Both calls for assistance were wrapped up by 3 p.m.

Recent Stories