ST. CROIX – A single-storey home on Highway 1 sustained some damage after a fire broke out in the kitchen July 16.
Fire departments from Brooklyn, Windsor and Hantsport responded to the mid-morning blaze, contending with extreme heat as the fire suppression efforts were underway.
“The fire was actually a very quick knockdown. We were able to get into the fire and track it, so it wasn’t a long duration,” said Jason Cochrane, fire chief for the Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department.
The fire started around the stove and spread to portions of the attic, Cochrane said.
“It was not a structural loss. It was contained to the kitchen area and some into the attic.”
The lone occupant of the home was able to exit the residence without injury, Cochrane said.
Cochrane praised the neighbouring fire departments for bringing additional firefighters and water to the scene to assist the crews working in the hot weather.
“We’re appreciative of the crews and the mutual aid support,” the chief said.
The cause of the fire has been linked to a cooking-related incident.