Jose Luis Magana/AP file photo
New York – United States Senate. Bob Menendez introduced a member of the Qatari royal family and the president of a company linked to the Qatari government to a New Jersey businessman. The charges were filed on Tuesday.
The latest version of the indictment against the Democrat in Manhattan federal court did not identify the member of the Qatari royal family, but it said the man was the principal of a Qatari investment firm.
The indictment alleges that the Qatari investor considered and negotiated a multimillion-dollar investment in a real estate project planned by Fred Teibs, one of three businessmen charged in the indictment with the senator and his wife. They all pleaded not guilty.
Messages left with prosecutors and a spokeswoman for Menendez were not immediately returned.
Tim Donohue, Types' attorney, said he had no immediate comment.
No new charges were added to the latest version of the indictment that already charged Menendez in a bribery plot that allegedly enriched the senator and his wife with cash, gold bars and a luxury car. The indictment states that the allegations involving Qatar occurred between 2021 and 2023.
After the September arrest, the senator relinquished his post as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He resisted calls to resign his Senate post.
According to the indictment, Menendez accepted cash and gold bars in exchange for inducing a Qatari investment firm to invest with Daibes, including taking steps favorable to the Qatari government.
While the Qatari investment company was considering investing in a real estate development owned by Daibes, Menendez made several public statements supporting the Qatari government and then provided them to Daibes so he could share them with the Qatari investor. Qatari government official.
An earlier version of the indictment charged Menendez, his wife and a businessman with conspiring to illegally use the senator as an agent of the Egyptian government.
Presiding Judge Sidney H. Stein last week refused to extend the May 5 trial date after defense attorneys asked for more time to prepare for the trial, which they said already has 6.7 million documents.