Windsor Royals fall behind 2-1 in series

Dan Boyd
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Published on February 28, 2012

Jacob McKendry deflects Matt Anthony’s attempt on net in the first period while Luke Short clears it. Anthony scored in the second period to tie Game 1 at one apiece.

Published on February 28, 2012

David Hayes lands a punch on Matt Anthony’s cheek after he got too close to the Royals’ net. Anthony scored in the second period to tie the game 1-1.

Published on February 28, 2012

Royals goaltender Jacob McKendry handled 31 of 34 shots fired at him in the 3-1 Game 1 loss to East Hants.

Published on February 28, 2012

Goaltender Jacob McKendry prevented the Penguins’ Justin Campbell from scoring in Game 1. However, Campbell did earn two assists in the East Hants 3-1 win.

Published on February 28, 2012

Jory Uhlman gets a face full of Marc Thibodeau’s glove after a scuffle broke out in front of the Royals net.

Published on February 28, 2012

Royals goaltender Jacob McKendry handled 31 of 34 shots fired at him in the 3-1 Game 1 loss to East Hants.

Published on February 28, 2012

Royals goaltender Jacob McKendry, right, and defenseman Jordan Morash watch as Brandon Parker and Scott MacDonald are escorted off the ice for fighting near the end of the third period in Game 1.

Game 4 goes Wednesday at 7:45 p.m.


It was two hard-fought games of hockey in Lantz Feb. 24 and 26, with the Royals winning 5-4 Friday and the Penguins 4-3 on Sunday.

Brian Naugle appeared to be a star in the Groundhog Day movie Sunday night as plays just kept happening over and over again. He finished the game with a -3 rating, although he did score the tying goal for the team.

Naugle seemed to fight the puck the entire night and then took a bad slashing penalty with less than two minutes to play in the game.

In fact, the Royals played the final 32.9 seconds of the third period short-handed after Nathan Little's slash and Windsor being assessed a minor penalty for too many men on the ice.

With 13 seconds left in the game, after a scuffle in front of the Royals net, the Royals’ Wesley Booth took a slashing minor, while the Penguins drew two minors for roughing after the whistle. As well Justin Campbell and Eric Thibodeau, both of the Penguins, and the Royals’ Jordan Morash all were handed 10-minute misconducts.

Before any of this took place, the Royals could not take advantage of a four-minute power-play they were given after an East Hants player was given a double minor for spearing. Naugle had his worst moment of the game when he had a clear opportunity to shoot the puck down the ice out his own end but ended up putting it on an East Hants defenseman's stick. That move allowed the Penguins to score the winning goal. 

The Royals had a solid second period but with limited results. The team opened the scoring on a great give-and-go as Braden Mercier split the East Hants defense and slid the puck over to Austin Himmelman who backhanded a high shot to the goalie's left to make it 1-0 Royals.

The Penguins came back with a pair and it was 2-1 East Hants after the first period. Mark Swain did a tremendous amount of work behind the East Hants net before getting the puck out in front to J.F. Lefort to tie the game at 2.

The Royals picked up some momentum in the second period and had a number of good scoring opportunities. The Royals’ Jake Galbraith had a brilliant save made on him with 4:20 to play in the second period.

Despite all of the defensive problems, Naugle tied the game for the Royals at 3-3 with 13:07 to play in the third period after taking a pass from Jory Uhlman and Jeff Longaphy.


Friday night highlights

The second game of the series was end-to-end hockey with the Royals squeaking out a 5-4 win.

The Royals led 5-3 before East Hants closed to within one with 46 seconds showing on the clock in the third period.

The teams were tied 2-2 after 20 minutes and the Royals jumped in front 4-2 in the second period before taking a 4-3 lead after 40 minutes. The teams exchanged goals in the third.

The goal scorers for the Royals were David Hayes, Mercier, Uhlman, Himmelman and Ryan Getson. The Royals outshot East Hants 35-30.


Wednesday night highlights

In the opening game of the series, the Royals took a 1-0 lead early in the second period on a sensational goal by Mercier, who went in alone and scored short-handed.

The teams were tied 1-1 after 40 minutes but East Hants put it away in the third with a pair of goals, including the insurance marker from Matthew Doudelet with just 3:17 to go in regulation. East Hants outshot Windsor 34 -23.


Upcoming games

Fans can catch Game 4 of the semi-finals in Windsor Feb. 29 at 7:45 p.m. Game 5 will be back in East Hants March 2 at 7:30 p.m.



Dan Boyd, the Hants Journal’s freelance sports writer, took over the role of interim president for the Windsor Royals near the end of 2011.



Organizations: Penguins, Hants Journal

Geographic location: East Hants 35, Lantz

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Hockey Parent
    February 28, 2012 - 22:28

    I find it very unfortunate that this article would find fault with one player. Anyone who was at the game on Sunday knows that it was a game of missed opportunities and yes mistakes, but not by one player, but by the team. The Windsor Royals are a team that support each other on and off the ice. They do not tear each other down or throw blame. It is too bad that others are not as generous. Perhaps a page should be taken from this team of great young men.

  • Hockey fan
    February 28, 2012 - 14:10

    Its quite common hockey knowledge you don't receive a minus while on the power-play. Also despite what it says on the league website the tying goal was scored while Anthony was in the box for the spear. Get your facts straight!