Here's a look at what was making the news 25 and 50 years ago in the Hants Journal.
25 years ago (Feb. 16 and 23, 1994 editions)
• The Town of Windsor and Municipality of West Hants’ dispute over access to a subdivision was nearing the boiling point. West Hants was threatening legal action while Windsor was threatening to annex West Hants’ land.
The area in question was near Brightman Avenue, where developers in West Hants wanted to build a subdivision. West Hants wanted permission to connect the subdivision to a town road.
County councillors Randy Matheson and Richard Dauphinee were both adamantly opposed to Windsor’s rebuttal, with Matheson saying, “We’ve made every type of concession... after the stall tactics of Windsor, I’m not going back into negotiations.”
• Jim White, a Windsor lawyer, was named the president of the Nova Scotia Progressive Conservative Party.
• East Hants MLA Bob Carruthers had harsh words after news spread that the Royal Bank in Maitland was closing its doors in April 1994. The lone full service bank in the community had been in operation for 121 years. Carruthers, who wrote the RBC president a letter, said the business should be “ashamed by their treatment of the employees and the people of the area.” Rumours had been circulating that the bank was going to close but the president had denied them.
• The winner of the Ardoise Winter Carnival’s ice sculpture contest was announced. The Green Team created a display that featured the fictional village of Bedrock, with carvings of Fred, Thelma and Pebbles.
The second place finisher, the Blue Team, created The Smurfs village.
• Concerns over the condition of Highway 101, especially between St. Croix and Mount Uniacke, were mounting. This was largely due to potholes and crumbling asphalt.
• Windsor Regional High School’s winter carnival came to a close. The senior king and queen were Bobby MacLeod and Krista Feltham; the junior king and queen were Nick Fry and Angela Mailman.
• The 10th annual Heritage Banquet was held in Windsor, with the theme being the Planters, a group of New England settlers who moved to the province in 1760 following the expulsion of the Acadians.
• Whitney Lutz, of Hantsport, retired from CKF Inc. After 40 years of service. He was employed as a wireformer first class.
• The West Hants Atom A Warriors won the 25th annual Levis-Lauzon Hockey Tournament in Quebec in 1994. The team was coached by Robin Mahar and Justin Johnson.
• The hockey community was mourning the death of Bob Bowness, “one of the all-time great import hockey players during the late 1940s and 50s.” He arrived in Nova Scotia in 1948 to play with the powerful Sydney Millionaires, who went on to be Maritime champions from 1949-51.
• The Shannons, Windsor Regional High School’s senior girls’ basketball team, won the St. Anne du Ruisseau basketball tournament in Yarmouth.
The team was coached by Rod Murray and managed by Joanne Grey. The team consisted of Tina Swinamer, Lynn VanZoost, Heather Crawford, Karen Lamontagne, Tara States, Bridget Moore, Jackie Gray, Lisa Redden, and Amy MacArthur.
50 years ago (Feb. 12 and 19, 1969 editions)
• It was reported that the fill that was being dumped on the Falmouth side of the Avon River due to causeway construction was effecting the characteristics of the river bed. It was noted that the river bed was “almost flat due to the erosion of the large sand bank that used to be in the middle of the river.”
• The Canadian Progress Club, based out of Halifax-Dartmouth, was preparing to open a residential home for young adults with special needs in Curry’s Corner. A total of 15 people would eventually be able to live at Kings Meadows, which was the first facility of its kind in Nova Scotia.
• Robert Oulton, of Windsor, sold a full French Charolais heifer for $27,500, which the director of livestock services at the Nova Scotia Agricultural College in Truro said was the highest price ever paid for a heifer from the Maritimes. The seven-month-old animal was sold at a sale in Calgary.
• Longtime firefighter Garnet McDade retired from the Hantsport Fire Department after serving 23 years, 21 of which was secretary-treasurer.
• A campaign was underway to curb young people from smoking. It was noted in an article that the average child starts smoking at 12 years, with some as young as six taking up the habit. It was reported that the younger a person starts smoking, the greater the danger of developing lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema.
• It was reported that James Tucker, a truck driver for Avon Valley Greenhouses in Falmouth, was involved in a serious collision with another truck, resulting in his truck bursting into flames while he was trapped inside. He suffered a broken jaw and a fractured bone in his leg.
• Pussy willows were growing earlier than usual due to a mild winter. The newspaper received a sprig from Poplar Grove and noted that the buds were the size of what’s usually seen at the end of March.
• The Windsor Royals clinched first place in teh Metro-Valley Junior Hockey League for the second successive season.
• The Imperial Theatre was showing some films featuring leading men throughout February. They were airing The Great Race, starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood, Shenandoah, starring James Stewart, A Lovely Way to Die, starring Kirk Douglas alongside Sylva Koscina, the Green Berets, starring John Wayne and David Janssen, Sol Madrid, starring David McCallum, and The Pink Jungle, starring James Garner, George Kennedy and Eva Renzi.
• In the Hants History column dating back to 1944, Donna Dowe was named Miss Winter at the Hantsport Ice Carnival.
In wartime news from 1944, pilot officer Earl Morton, DFC, was reported killed in action.
In the Hants History column from 1919, 14-year-old Fred Newcombe, of Hantsport, was reported to be the youngest crew members of the cable ship Lord Kelvin. It was also noted that C.P. Railway purchased Evangeline’s home at Grand Pre and was planning to maintain it as a public park.
In other news from 1919, Hantsport residents welcomed home Private Alex Murray, who had been a prisoner of war in East Prussia.